I’ve met very few people who despise lasagna. I thought I would share with you a recipe that our family has come to love. After some tweaking of another “weaker” recipe, this lasagna dish brings that satisfying tastiness and comfort to our tummies. 🙂 With optionally using oven-ready lasagna noodles, it works great for a week night when you have a little extra time to prepare dinner. Another option is to bake the lasagna ahead of time during the weekend so you can enjoy it after church or when watching some football with your family! Enjoy!
- 1-1/2 lbs. of ground beef/can also add some chopped up pepperoni
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 Tabsp. minced garlic
- 1 (14.5) oz. can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1 (29) oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tabsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (15) oz. container of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. parmesan
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (12)oz. box of oven ready lasagna (optional), also can use regular lasagna noodles, boil and drain first before preparing sauce
- If using oven ready lasagna noodles, layer in bottom of a 9×13 sprayed casserole dish. (Enough to cover the bottom, 4 or 5 noodles)
- For sauce-brown the beef, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan. Drain fat.
- Stir in Italian diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, Italian seasoning, and pepperoni (if using). Bring to boiling. Cover and simmer about 10 min., stirring occasionally.
- For filling-in a medium bowl, combine egg, parmesan, and ricotta cheese.
- Spread half of the cheese filling over first layer of noodles. Add half of the meat sauce over the cheese filling layer. Sprinkle some mozzarella over the meat sauce layer. Repeat layers, beginning with noodles again and finishing with mozzarella cheese. If desired, sprinkle more parmesan over the top.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Very important; it will allow you to cut the lasagna without falling apart.
If making ahead of time, you can cover and refrigerate. When ready to bake, bake covered in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake about 20 more minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.